Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Senator Joe Lieberman is talking

Glenn: Play a little bit of the statement. Here's his statement.
Voice: in Washington, where Senator Joe Lieberman is talking about health care. Let's listen in.
Lieberman: The so called public option, government run insurance program is out and the Medicare buy in, which I thought would jeopardize Medicare, cost taxpayers billions of dollars, increase our deficit, is out, and there's no other chance to bring things like that in, then I'm I'm going to be in a position where I can say I'm getting to a position where I can say where I wanted to say all along, that I'm ready to vote for health care reform. My whole point has been here that the President laid out a couple of big goals for this process. Costs are down for individuals, families, businesses, our government, our economy of health care and, secondly, bring a lot of people in who can't afford health insurance now. The basic core bill does that. I think some of the other things were going to add to our debt, increase taxes.

Glenn: Okay. Hang on just a second. So, how are we getting it? How are we getting it? What are we getting? What are we getting?
Pat: You've got me.
Glenn: What is in the bill, then?
Pat: You've got me. No public option, no Medicare buy in, just perfection and awesomeness.
Glenn: So, what is it? What is it that doesn't cost anything yet, covers everyone, and reduces, reduces Medicare?

Pat: And reduces cost.
Stu: Because he was worried about if it went through Medicare, it would ruin Medicare and cost too much, but now that it's not called Medicare, it not going to cost anything. It's going to save us money.

Pat: Now it's free.
Stu: Now it's free. It's negative money.
Pat: Somebody is paying us money. I don't know who, but somebody's paying us money to vote for this thing.

Glenn: Was it the pressure? Was it the pressure? I mean, I know what I know what it was. I mean, this is where Joe Lieberman and I had a falling out and Joe Lieberman and I are friends and we respected each other, but I I really believe that Joe Lieberman left his honor at the door at the Monica Lewinsky story. Joe and I were friends. I mean, it was not like we were hanging out where each other, you know, taking walks on Saturday, but we were friendly and respected each other. Joe Lieberman helped me get into Yale. And I said to Joe Lieberman during the Monica Lewinsky story, Joe, very few people have the right message at the right time. Character does matter. You are the linchpin here. If you do the right thing, the rest will follow you. And I gave him Profiles of Courage and he pushed it back on the table at me. And we were off the air. This was a personal note. And he said, I've read it. And I said, I want you to read it one more time. And I shoved it back to him, and he walked out and didn't take Profiles of Courage with him. And we all know what he did at that time. He gave a tough speech, but he caved. And I'm convinced you'll be the first Jewish vice president nominee. You, sir, will be the vice presidential nominee under Al Gore. I'm convinced that's the deal that happened. I have no evidence of that. I just feel it. The only time Joe Lieberman he has found himself in critical positions many times. One time he has stood and he has stood with our troops and he's paid a great price, but that's the one time. Every other time Joe Lieberman folds like a house of cards. He folds. I gave him the benefit of doubt on this one, but I shouldn't have. Here he is again. He folds. I asked Senator Lieberman, Where in the Constitution do you find this, sir? Where? Answer the question. Don't tell me about you have Constitutional scholars. Don't tell me about, well, how this has to be done or how this is deficit neutral. Answer the question. Where in the Constitution do you find this, sir? If you cannot, then do your damn job to protect the Constitution. These people in Washington are shaping the Constitution instead of allowing the Constitution to shape the country. It's backwards and wrong.

No comments: